Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wise Women's Circle



Last Sunday, blessedly sunny and warm, the Wise Women's Circle met to honor the village of Le Chenail. It had been dismantled before it was flooded by the waters of the Outaouais River after the Carillon dam was built in 1961. The only remaining house was a stone building from 1810 that had served as the office and store of the Hamilton Mills. The house now serves as a tourist office.
I was asked to give a short history of Le Chenail ("The Snye" for English-speakers) and it was a fascinating project. In only 200 years, the area around the Long Sault rapids had been through a transformative period and now that the island was once again uninhabited, we wanted to honor its story. I also asked my Divine Bean to add some insight. The message is to follow in my next blog.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Looks like a wonderful time : ) I hope your summer is a great one.